Saturday, September 17, 2011

Hamilton Police Being Sued

I can't say I'm shocked, but yet another black Hamilton man is suing the police for not doing their jobs. As you can see in this article, Robert Junor was attacked a couple of years ago by a guy who screamed and spat at him over his skin colour (and allegedly tried to use a bolt cutter on him, too). The lunatic who went after him, did get put away for it, but it wouldn't have happened if the Hamilton police had any say in it.

For some reason, despite there being physical evidence of an assault, the officers that initially took Junor's report, refused to do anything about it. They actually told him to PRIVATELY file charges.

I'm not sure you understand the concept, officers!

The officers who made this bone-headed move are currently suspended and being tried for negligence. Mr. Junor is suing, claiming racial prejudice. To be honest, I really don't think race has anything to do with it. That may sound weird, when talking about a police force that was recently in court for arresting a black man for the crime of a white man, or beating up a defenseless Asian refugee for no particular reason, but there is a method to my madness.

About a year and a half ago, a girl that I went to grade school with, called my house trying to get me to wire her some money. She got my mom instead (I was out at the time), and claimed that her boyfriend had beaten her up, and needed money right away to get herself and her kids from Alberta back to Hamilton. My mom wired her $50, and when I managed to get this woman on the phone again she said she would pay us back in a couple of days.

Suffice it to say, she never did. The phone number she gave us, was soon disconnected as well, and she didn't return any e-mails I left on Facebook.

I soon discovered that she'd done this exact same thing to many of our mutual friends. Western Union said that my mom and I needed to take this to the police fraud unit... and they wouldn't even look at it. I'll acknowledge that a lot of hearsay and e-mails is hardly iron-clad proof, but you'd think that would at least be enough for them to take over and start digging. Maybe if my mom was 80 and in a nursing home it would have been taken a bit more seriously, I don't know.

If it had even occurred to me to get the desk officer's name/badge number and talk to a supervisor, I would have. Not because I particularly care about the $50, but because this bozo was being shown evidence of a crime wave, and did nothing about it. Sadly, we've also seen this attitude when reporting drivers that nearly ran us over in crosswalks on the job.

Back when I was protesting the G20 incident, I was asked by some sheep what I would want to happen if someone was assaulting me or killing my relatives -- wouldn't I be calling the cops? Well, here's the thing: I don't even know if the cops would do anything about it.

No comments: