Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Making the latest Halloween special

This past Saturday, my friends and I combined my two favourite and most popular past-times: movie-making, and Bored on the Corner. As long-time followers know, it's a tradition of mines to make a special, and not at all serious episode of BotC to celebrate the spookiest day of the year, and this year was not only no exception, but it was EPIC.

While we shot the whole thing within a few blocks, because of some scheduling issues we took 11 hours to shoot the entire special (which will be online by the middle of October, hopefully). Myself and one-time replacement host Eric Johnson appear briefly (as does Eric's girlfriend), but much of the episode rides on my friends Keith and Colin (who just appeared in my short film Fight or Flight). Keith previously appeared in last year's Halloween special, but this is Colin's first appearance in anything to do with "Bored on the Corner".

Without giving very much away, it is a very off-kilter look at how the three of us talk about and watch various horror movies, as well as some satire about recent political/public boneheadery that has been in the news lately. It's also the triumphant return of The Advertisement Enforcer.

There was a lot of action and mayhem to be had, with some colourful behind-the-scenes stories to be told... but I'll talk about it more at a later date. All I will say right now is that the shoot went great (even if it was long and occasionally tedious as hell), the new way we decided to work was a fairly successful experiment, and I can't wait to see how Eric puts it together (which is another first for me; normally I edit everything I direct).

Stay tuned!

No comments: