Monday, April 13, 2009

OMFG It's Twitter!!!

Those of you who remember my rant about the iPhone, know that I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with modern and trendy gadgets. I don't have MSN or Yahoo Messenger, mainly because I don't trust the software and am rarely online at the same time as most of my friends; I don't have a gaming console because I simply don't play that many video games; I don't own a cell phone because I don't need to make a lot of phone calls outside of the house, the list goes on. Heck, I needed to get dragged kicking and screaming onto Facebook, and the only reason I did was because an increasing number of my friends were pestering me with invites -- plus it's free and I don't need to install anything on the family computer. SO, you can probably tell what I think about the latest fad, Twitter.

Having been on Facebook for a couple of years now, I'm pretty aware that one of the more popular features is the ability to tell people whatever you're doing, on the fly, through the status changes. It was one of the site's smaller quirks, but still something that everyone used... so naturally, their competitors needed to copy it. MySpace put up their own take a few months ago, which is pretty much the same. Then along comes Twitter, which is basically nothing but status changes. Sooooo what's so cool about that??

I'm sorry, but my idea of a good time, isn't reading about every single thing that a person does in his or her life. And if I signed up for it myself, I'd imagine that my friends and fans would want something better from me than "Steve is reading the paper", or "Steve is watching the latest review from the Angry Video Game Nerd", or "Steve is playing his guitar", or "Steve is eating turkey jambalaya", or "Steve is puking because he forgot to get rid of the stuffing first"... Need I go on? Let's look past what some famous twat dictates is cool, and get real for a minute: day to day life, just isn't that interesting. If you're following a newspaper, or band, or something else that's really active then fine, but for pretty much everyone else you've got to have way too much freaking time on your hands to have fun with it.

While we're on the subject, why the heck do all these social networking sites think that the best way to attract customers is to just copy what the other guys do? Is there really something wrong with trying to do something DIFFERENT? When I got into MySpace and Facebook, they both had pretty much their own approaches and personalities -- now they're almost exactly the same. Even MSN is looking more like Facebook all the time! I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they're just going to merge the sites sooner or later, where else can you go if all you do is clone everything? Granted, these are free web sites, so maybe you can only expect so much, but COME ON, GROW A PAIR WOULD YOU PLEASE?? TIE IT INTO OUR E-MAILS OR XBOX ACCOUNTS, BUILD IT INTO OUR CARS, BROADCAST IT INTO MY FILLINGS, I DON'T CARE, JUST DO SOMETHING BOLD!!!

[Steve had to be taken away at this point to be given his Benedryl, but he was fine a few moments later]

Okay... I'm good. The point is, when the guys running these high tech distractions actually do something interesting for a change, I might be willing to give it more than the fifteen minutes that they might deserve. Enough said.

No comments: